Principal Engineer– at a regional Product Company, with headquarters in Singapore
Location: District 3, Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
We’re on a mission
Here at GoBear we’re on a super powerful mission! Our purpose is to improve people’s financial health, so that together we can build more secure, stable and sustainable communities across Asia. By working closely with our partners, we make financial products easier to understand and easier to access based on individual needs. That, in turn, helps people live their lives on their own terms.
We’re looking for people (or bears, as we like to call them) who are charged up by this mission. Obviously we want our bears to be smart and hard-working but, more importantly, we want bears who love solving problems, working in close-knit teams and coming up with crazy ideas.
If that sounds good, then read on!
GoBear Code Unit (GCU)
GCU is GoBear’s in-house software development team. Attached to the regional team, GCU works closely with the Product Development and Design Teams from Singapore. GCU has its own dedicated, developer-focused office located in District 3.
• Read about GoBear’s mission and GCU specifically in an interview with our CTO: http://www.vir.com.vn/new-gobear-code-unit-to-liven-up-vietnams-tech-startup- scene- 57011.htmlWhen
• Hear from our Product Design Director: https://medium.com/gobear-design/gobear-scotch-tape-and-sticky-notes-sprinting-singapore-style- b1f0c114a0fb
Who’s who in the zoo?
You are a very senior engineer. As Principal Engineer you will report directly to the Head of Engineering. On a daily basis, you will work with Tech Leads and other engineers with similar expertise to set up the standards for your layer. You will define which libraries are to be used; how unitary testing is developed; what kind of design patterns to use. In just a few words, you will be defining how your programming language of choice should work within GoBear.
What kind of fun will you get up to at GoBear?
As Principal Engineer, you will:
• Provide technical direction and ensure that standards are consistent across the different teams
• Work on a roadmap to get from where technology is today in GoBear all the way to excellence. To infinity and beyond!
• Have a strong say on how things are done. Your word and your experience matter and developers will look up to you
• Introduce new, on-point ways of coding and testing.
• Be on the lookout for potential new frameworks and tools to introduce in GoBear
• Line manage Tech Leads
• Coach and mentor developers. We want people to continuously grow & develop!
• Run regular training sessions to introduce or explain best practices, idioms and conventions
• Focus on building high-quality software
We require an enterprising, no-nonsense, hands-on full stack developer with the following qualifications and skills. No, you don’t have to be a superstar with balanced front-end and back-end skills, but either 30% vs. 70% or 70% vs. 30% is fine.
- Solid English communication skills (written and verbal)
- Back-end scope:
• Java or C#. Any other language knowledge (no matter how obscure) is also welcomed.
• Experience in building and designing microservice architecture
• Good understanding of Object-Oriented programming fundamentals, and how to apply them
- Front-end scope:
• Familiarity with grid/flexbox front-end frameworks such as Bootstrap, Foundation, Semantic UI, Jeet, Susy etc.
• Experience with Sass / LESS, tree shaking and preprocessing for optimization
• Experience with web API’s, JSON and REST
• Experience with building Atomic Design Methodology
- Extra points if you have worked with Drupal 8
- You have extensive experience within a SCRUM or Agile software/product development
- Bachelors in Computer Science, Information Systems or other related fields
Does this sound like you?
• You’re kind-hearted
• You not only love technologies but also love to work and deal with different people’s working style
• You have the ability to communicate complex concepts in a clear manner
• You’re willing to coach and teach others
• You prefer persuading others through calm, respectful, rational argument
• You are always learning and have a hunger for knowledge and discovery
• You acknowledge that we can do better, and have a willingness to keep seeking the better way
• You are self-motivated and direct, with the ability to effectively prioritize and execute tasks in a high- pressure environment
• You display analytical and problem-solving abilities, with keen attention to detail
• You love to work collaboratively, in cross-functional teams
• You have excellent time management and prioritization skills
• You go the extra mile (or two)
Need more reasons to come and work for us?
You’ll get to learn from a multi-cultural team of fin-tech disruptors at one of the fastest growing online brands in Asia. Our work makes us innovative, agile, brave and result-driven but we also just love what we do – and because we love what we do, we’re fun to be around (well, we think so anyway).
We’ve got an open and transparent culture so what you see is what you get: we’re not cool with office politics. We value freedom and high performance above blindly following processes. In fact, we like it when you challenge our processes. We also like it when you show curiosity for new ideas that make a difference. And, we love it when you discover practical solutions to tough problems. We give lots of high fives for solving tough problems.
GoBear is Asia’s first and only metasearch engine in financial products. It was founded based on the simple premise that a consumer should find freedom and ease in choosing complex financial products like insurance, credit cards and loans. Headquartered in Singapore since early 2015, GoBear has established presence in Thailand, Malaysia and will continue to expand across Southeast Asia in 2016. As one of the fastest growing fintech startups in Asia, GoBear is leading the way in democratising financial shopping experience with its unbiased and personalised comparison process. Our independent metasearch engine is user-oriented, GoBear neither aggregate nor sell products. We simply offer consumers a free and transparent comparison process based on their financial needs, and not influenced by service providers’ advertising. The result is a user-friendly and informed experience that saves consumers both time and money. GoBear team is made up of a group of multi-cultural technologists. It is an equal opportunity employer, committed to promoting inclusion and diversity for employees.