Lead Engineer – at a regional Product Company, with headquarters in Singapore
Location: District 3, Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
We don’t usually toot our own horn but (seeing as you might work here soon) we thought you might like to know GoBear is Asia’s first and only metasearch engine for financial products. We spend our days trying to figure out how to make comparing insurance and banking products as awesome as possible. Our happy place is where users don’t even have to think twice – they can choose a financial product that’s right for them and feel confident with their choice (we know that’s a nerdy happy place, but we can’t help what we love).
We have launched in 7 countries since 2015 and over 39 million people have used GoBear to help them compare personal finance products.
We’re looking for people who break the mould; who’ve got a hankering to do something completely different. Obviously, we want our bears to be smart and hard-working but, more importantly, we want people on our team who love technology, who love their job, and who aren’t afraid to fail while trying something completely crazy. At GoBear we develop well-tested, production-ready code in very short cycles and in small increments.
We listen to our customers, and then employ best-practices to drive towards greater agility with a lazer-focus on our customer needs.
GoBear Code Unit (GCU)
GCU is GoBear’s in-house software development team. Attached to the regional team, GCU works closely with the Product Development and Design Teams from Singapore. GCU has their own dedicated, developer-focused office located in District 2, located in an newly renovated villa with attached swimming pool, coffee shop, and relaxed atmosphere.
- Read about GoBear’s mission and GCU specifically in an interview with our CTO: http://www.vir.com.vn/new-gobear-code-unit-to-liven-up-vietnams-tech-startup-scene57011.htmlWhen
- Get to know our Chief Architect: https://e27.co/singapore-helped-gobear-software-developer-become-macgyver-20181015/
- See what our Product Design Director here: https://medium.com/gobear-design/gobear-scotch-tape-and-sticky-notes-sprinting-singapore-style-b1f0c114a0fb
Who’s who in the zoo?
You are both a senior engineer as well as a leader. As Lead Engineer you report directly to the Development Manager. On a daily basis however, you’ll work in cross-functional (two-pizza) teams with a Product Owner, business analysts, designers and engineers. You’ll be the liaison to the Architecture team and other cross-functional teams, based in various countries in the region.
What kind of fun will you get up to at GoBear?
You will lead and guide engineers in your team.
As a Lead Engineer, you will:
o Lead technical direction, share responsibility of coaching, mentoring and developing othe engineers in the programming best practices
o Be primary contact point for technical integration with other technical leads, and platform architects to ensure system integration within our eco-system
o Work and support DevOps team to provision, and maintain our environments
o Work with architects to align on technical quality KPIs and ensure they’re well applied in your team
o Be pro-active and initiate continuous improvement
As senior developer, you will:
o Build software in our ecosystem that will be deployed in our public-facing as well as internal line-of-business applications
o focus on building high-quality software
o embrace software development best-practices like Test-Driven Development
o keep track of, and push the boundaries w.r.t. new technologies e.g. Serverless Computing, Microservices etc.
o embrace the twelve factors ( https://12factor.net/)
o deliver pixel perfect, contemporary, scalable front-end implementations
o optimize, tree-shake and constantly seek to improve performance and speed
We require an enterprising, no-nonsense, hands-on full stack developer (no, you don’t have to be a super-star with balanced front-end and back-end skills, but either 30% vs. 70% or 70% vs. 30% is fine) with the following qualifications and skills.
- Solid English communication skills (written and verbal)
- At least 6+ years of software development experience, two of which need to be in a Tech Lead role
o Cloud Service Providers e.g. Microsoft Azure, Amazon AWS or Google Cloud Platform
o experience in functional programming
o experience in building and designing microservice architectures
o experience programming in at least three imperative programming languages, at least one
of which must be a strongly typed language
o good understanding of Object-Oriented programming fundamentals, and how to apply them
- Front-end scope:
o familiarity with grid / flexbox front-end frameworks such as Bootstrap, Foundation, Semantic UI, Jeet, Susy etc.
o experience with Sass / LESS, treeshaking and preprocessing for optimization
o experience with web API’s, JSON and REST
o experience with building Atomic Design Methodology
- Extra points if you have worked with Drupal 8
- You have extensive experience within a SCRUM or Agile software/product development
- Bachelors in Computer Science, Information Systems or other related fields
Does this sound like you?
- You’re kind
- You not only love technologies but also love to work and deal with different people’s working style.
- You have the ability to communicate complex concepts in a clear manner
- You’re willing to coach and teach others
- You prefer persuading others through calm, respectful, rational argument
- You are always learning- you have a hunger for knowledge and discovery
- You are always-improving- an acknowledgement that we can always do better, and a willingness to keep seeking the better way
- You are self-motivated and direct, with the ability to effectively prioritize and execute tasks in a high-pressure environment
- You display analytical and problem-solving abilities, with keen attention to detail
- You love to work collaboratively
- You have excellent time management and prioritization skills
- You are always willing to go the extra mile.
- You’re kind (yes I wrote that twice)
Need more reasons to come and work for us?
You’ll get to learn from a multi-cultural team of fin-tech disruptors at one of the fastest growing online brands in Asia. Our work makes us innovative, agile, brave and result-driven but we also just love what we do – and because we love what we do, we’re fun to be around (well, we think so anyway). We’ve got an open and transparent culture so what you see is what you get: we’re not cool with office politics. We value freedom and high performance above blindly following processes. In fact, we like it when you challenge our processes. We also like it when you show curiosity for new ideas that make a difference. And, we love it when you discover practical solutions to tough problems. We give lots of high fives for solving tough problems.
You can expect to receive a bumper pack of GoBear benefits, including Premium Healthcare for international usage, flexibility in working times and remote locations to promote a great work-life balance, an agile working environment and of course, the latest MacBook Pro and 4k monitor!
Don’t take our word for it - see our LinkedIn and GlassDoor profiles:
GoBear is Asia’s first and only metasearch engine in financial products. It was founded based on the simple premise that a consumer should find freedom and ease in choosing complex financial products like insurance, credit cards and loans. Headquartered in Singapore since early 2015, GoBear has established presence in Thailand, Malaysia and will continue to expand across Southeast Asia in 2016. As one of the fastest growing fintech startups in Asia, GoBear is leading the way in democratising financial shopping experience with its unbiased and personalised comparison process. Our independent metasearch engine is user-oriented, GoBear neither aggregate nor sell products. We simply offer consumers a free and transparent comparison process based on their financial needs, and not influenced by service providers’ advertising. The result is a user-friendly and informed experience that saves consumers both time and money. GoBear team is made up of a group of multi-cultural technologists. It is an equal opportunity employer, committed to promoting inclusion and diversity for employees.